So…I normally do not blog on other people. I think I blogged on a musician once before. I should be blogging on baby/kid pee and poop like I intended to but today I just can’t. Today I just have to blog on Tay Tay, aka Taylor Swift.
So recently in the news I read about how Taylor Swift cleared out all of her social media accounts. I found it fascinating- in general but also because I knew she had something up her sleeve. I did not pay too much attention to it like the die hard fans did but, once again, thanks to the news and my insomnia, I was able to see her do her mic drop in the middle of the night and watch the magic unfold.
Let me start by saying I have always liked Taylor Swift. I think her personality is just adorable and I think she is a very talented singer and songwriter. I have enjoyed watching her evolve over the years. Because of her music I have also been able to help my children with bullying and other issues. When Shake It Off came out it was a great way for me to prepare my kids for school in the morning and to unwind at the end of the hard school day. I have always taught them to have killer confidence but Taylor’s music has so helped me with reinforcing that concept through music and on my kids’ levels.
Because I follow the news daily I always know what is going on in the Entertainment world. I have known about the Taylor verse Kanye/Kim (Kimye) issues as well as the Katy Perry issues. I have always thought that she, Taylor, has handled herself gracefully despite what and who she is up against. Have I agreed with everything that Taylor has said or done or even wore? No. I may be a fan of hers but I treat her like everyone else in my life: if you have flaws (and we all do) I will find them and though I will not love you any less for them I will admit they are there and just like my flaws they need to be worked on but hey, that is what life is all about; it’s a journey in bettering ourselves, in evolving ourselves. Am I right? While I do love the song Roar (sorry!) I do not really like Katy Perry. I do not like what she stands for and how she handles herself but hey that is me. I have also followed Kim Kardashian over the years but only because I love watching all things fashion and make-up. And as with Katy I do not like what Kim Kardashian stands for and how she likes to think she is religious but everything she does and “sells” including herself goes against everything religious and then some.
So that brings me to the point of my blog today: why I respect Taylor Swift. In the middle of the night last night some of her fans thought this- her new song- was not her and that she is better than that and etc. I get it BUT have you seen how she has been treated? Not only with the Kimye/Katy issue but her sexual harassment suit which she only asked for $1 for? And which SHE WON. That was not about money for her; it was about the truth. Just look at her video from Look What You Made Me Do – she is not even in it (unlike Katy’s bizarre video of Swish Swish?!). Why? Because this is not about her. She doesn’t care to be in the video. What she cares about -and it is very clear- is being an artist and conveying whatever message she has to convey. I am a writer. I am a blogger. I am now an author. Some of my best “work” has come from bad relationships, bad friendships, and my postpartum depression. If I was told not to write on those topics well, I may not write at all. Writing is therapeutic for me just like I am sure it is for her. So people want to tell her not to write about the feuds in her life?! Why not? If you think about it – not only does she release her own issues, per se, via it but she touches so many of us with her songs, her lyrics. Additionally, she makes a ton of money off of her well, feuds and break-ups and hey, that is OK. Why wouldn’t it be okay? Take lemons and make lemonade out of them, right?
Just look at some of the lyrics to her latest song:
1. “Look What You Made Me Do” – The title is epic. THEY made HER do this SONG. Yes, oh yes they did! Her response to “them” is a totally epic song!
2. “The role you made me play” – How many times have you played a role in something, against your will? Hello? Duh. Perfect.
3. “Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time“- We do. We struggle in life and we have no choice but rise up from the dead after someone or something has hurt us.
4. “I’ve got a list of names and yours is in red, underlined I check it once, then I check it twice, oh!” - This is fantastic! It’s like a reminder to yourself not to deal with the toxic people in your life. It resonates with people.
5. “You ask me for a place to sleep Locked me out and threw a feast (what?)” How many times have your closest friends or family taken advantage of you like that?
6. “But not for me, not for me, all I think about is karma And then the world moves on, but one thing’s for sure Maybe I got mine, but you’ll all get yours”- Let’s face it: karma is a b#$%h and what goes around comes around (all hail!).
7. “I’ll be the actress starring in your bad dreams” – Insanely great! And for those who are like OMG I can’t believe she turned bad this way just listen to Bad Blood! This is just a perfect extension of that.
8. And last but NOT LEAST, “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now.” “Why?” “Oh, ’cause she’s dead!” (ohh!)” -This was the cream of the crop! She is not the same person as she was before. She never will be! And guess what? She won’t be the same person tomorrow and that is ok.
People have to stop holding on to the young, shy, “perfect” Taylor and realize that she is growing up and clearly holding her own in a very intense business and her talent is shining through because of it all! She remains true to herself, she fights for what she believes in, and she is very generous with her fans and the like. I respect her for all of that and more.
One twitter user (@PikaRosie) said perfectly in the middle of the night, “Right now Taylor is probably sitting in her apartment with a cat on each leg stroking them while maniacally laughing at everyone’s reactions.” Amen to that! Because Taylor is that – just a simple girl in an apartment with her cats who happens to make the most incredible music in the entire world! Just look at how her song has been trending in more than 66 countries since midnight!
Thanks Taylor for making me laugh all night at your awesome fans! And thanks for giving me another great tune to listen to. Rock on with your bad self!